"WOODLAND, a small village and parish, nearly three miles E.S.E. of Ashburton, has only 206 inhabitants, and about 1400 acres of land, belonging to various freeholders. The manor is dismembered, and was held for a long period with that of Ipplepen. The Dean and Canons of Windsor are appropriators of the great tithes of both parishes. Woodland Church is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued at only £56, in the patronage of the inhabitants, and incumbency of the Rev. John White. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Docherty, C.J., Langley Searles, A. and Faig jnr., Kenneth W. Lovecraft of Devon, Kenneth W. Faig jnr., 2311 Swainwood Drive, Glenview IL 6025-2741, USA (2003). [DFHS Library] [Lovecraft family of Woodleand/Broadhempston area]
Evans, H.R. The Cullings of Woodland, Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 23, 1947-9, pp. 262-5, 293-5, 318-22 & 346-8. See also 24, 1950-51, pp. 98-9 & 102. [16-18th c.]
Table showing the descent of Coplestone of Woodland, and of Colby of Great Torrington, Devon, and of the origin of the quarterings borne by Coplestone of Coplestone, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica N. S., 2, 1877, pp. 73-6. [Medieval-19th c.]