Hide

Woolfardisworthy (East)

hide
Hide

"WOOLFARDISWORTHY (near Crediton) is a parish and village, about a mile from the road from Crediton to South Molton, 6½ north from Crediton station on the London and South Western railway and 14½ north-west from Exeter, in the Northern division of the county, Witheridge hundred, Crediton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Cadbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of The Holy Trinity, rebuilt in 1845, is an edifice in the Early Perpendicular style. . . . there are 142 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664. . . . The chief crops are barley, wheat and oats. The acreage is 2,136; rateable value £1,492; the population in 1891 was 176 in the civil and 161 in the ecclesiastical parish."

According to Peskett, the parish is in the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple.

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

topup

Census

Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]

topup

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1643 are held in the Devon Record Office.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1840, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.

The members' area of the Devon FHS website makes available online images, not at present (Jan 2016) available elsewhere, of the Parish Registers covering East Woolfardisworthy Baptisms, Marriages and Burials: 1643-1748, Baptisms, Burials: 1743-1796, Baptisms, Burials: 1795-1812, Baptisms: 1813-1910, Marriages and Banns: 1754-1909, Marriages: 1813-1840, Marriages: 1838-1912, Burials: 1813-1911.

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

The Deanery of South Molton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bishop's Nympton, Cheldon, Creacombe, Cruwys Morchard, East Anstey, East Woolfardisworthy, East Worlington, George Nympton, King's Nympton, Knowstone, Mariansleigh, Meshaw, Molland, North Molton, Oakford, Puddington, Rackenford, Romansleigh, Rose Ash, Satterleigh, South Molton, Stoodleigh, Templeton, Thelbridge, Twitchen, Warkleigh, Washford Pyne, West Anstey, West Worlington and Witheridge. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902). CD-ROM 062, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Bishop's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheldon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1841; Creacombe Bapt: 1814-1902, Mar: 1759-1835, Bur: 1813-1850; Cruwys Morchard Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1688-1839; East Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; East Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; George Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; King's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Knowstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1740-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Mariansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Meshaw Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1838; Molland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; North Molton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Oakford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Puddington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1759-1836, Bur: 1740-1837; Rackenford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Romansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1730-1837; Rose Ash Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1850; Satterleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; South Molton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoodleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Templeton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Thelbridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1853; Twitchen Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Warkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Washford Pyne Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1840; West Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1745-1838; West Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1846, Bur: 1813-1851; Witheridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1835]

topup

Description & Travel

Section on Woolfardisworthy East  from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.

You can see pictures of Woolfardisworthy (East) which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Woolfardisworthy (East) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

topup

Maps

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS827086 (Lat/Lon: 50.86497, -3.668199), Woolfardisworthy (East) which are provided by:

topup

Names, Personal

Woolfardisworthy (East) contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

topup

Probate Records

Wills of Joan Gill (1830) and James Gill (1857), transcribed by Roy Drew.

Orme, Nicholas. Three Early Devon Wills. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.136-141.