[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"WOOLFARDISWORTHY WEST, a parish and township in the hundred of Hartland, county Devon, 9 miles S.W. of Bideford, and 6 N.E. of Hartland. The parish extends to the seacoast, and is watered by a branch of the river Torridge. Besides the village of Woolfardisworthy, which is chiefly inhabited by fishermen, and extends into the adjoining parish, there is a village or hamlet on the same bay as Clovelly. The soil is sandy, and the subsoil clay. Building stone is extensively quarried, and is shipped from Bideford to various places. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value £60. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains an antique font and a monument to the Earls of Enniskillen, who were formerly resident here. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have chapels. There are National and Sunday schools, the latter held in the church. W. Buck, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BUCK MILLS, a chapelry in the parish of Woolfardisworthy West, hundred of Witheridge, in the county of Devon, near Bideford, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, and in the patronage of Mrs. Elwes. The church has only recently been built."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003