"YARCOMBE, or Yartcombe, a village and parish, in Chard Union, on the bold western acclivities of the small river Yarty, near the junction of Devon, Dorset, and Somersetshire, 5 miles W. of Chard, and 8 miles N.E. by N. of Honiton has 826 souls, and 5400 acres of land, rising in lofty hills and comprising many scattered houses. . . The manor was held by Otterton Priory, and after the dissolution a moiety of it was granted to Robert Earl of Leicester, who sold it to Robt. Drake, Esq. of Ash, who conveyed it to Sir Francis Drake, the celebrated circumnavigator, who was possessed of the other moiety by grant from the Crown. The CHURCH (St. John,) is a fine Gothic structure, with an embattled tower and five bells. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has a beautifully carved pulpit." [From White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon (1850)]
In Axminster Hundred and the Archdeaconry of Exeter.