from White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850)
transcribed by Brian Randell
YARNSCOMBE, a village and parish, 5 miles N.E. of Great Torrington, and 7
miles S. by E. of Barnstaple, contains 512 souls, and 3047 acres of
land. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle are lords of the manor of
Great Yarnscombe; and J. H. Furse, Esq., owns that of Little Yarnscombe.
J. P. Blew, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, with several old
monuments. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7. 11s. 11d., and in 1831 at
£132, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the
Rev. John K. Fletcher, D.D., of Callington, Cornwall. The glebe is 30
acres, and the Parsonage is a small stone residence. The tithes were
commuted in 1840, the vicarial for £136. 10s., and the rectorial for
£152. The latter belong to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle. There was
anciently a chapel at Little Yarnscombe. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
The Parish Lands comprise 30 acres, called Ashridge, now let for about
£20, which is carried to the churchwardens' accounts. The poor have 40s.
a year, left by Edward Warren, in l693, out of North Westcott. They have
also the interest of £25 given by Mr. Champneys and Mrs. Nichols.
Dart John, carpenter
Furse Wm. mason, &c
Lander Thomas, shoemaker
Loveland Anty. Esq. North Church
Mules Rev Jas., M.A. curate, Vicarg
Muxworthy Geo. & John, smiths
Nichols John, tailor
atway Hy. vict. Hunter's Inn
Stedeford John, tailor
Symons John, vict. Old Bunhouse
Tout Grace, beer seller
Tucker Anthony, shoemaker
Symons Jno. and Wm. Cogsworthy