A paper on Yealmpton church


James Furneaux

In Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 1 ser, v. 4, (1853) illus. pp.245-249.

Prepared by Michael Steer

Yealmpton (pronounced "yalmpton") is located in the South Hams on the A379 Plymouth to Kingsbridge road and is about 13 km from Plymouth. It derives its name from the River Yealm that flows through the village.The parish church is dedicated to St Bartholomew and was designed by William Butterfield. It dates from 1850, apart from the tower which was only built in 1915. It is in a version of the Gothic of the late 13th - early 14th centuries. The font is Norman and the monuments (moved here from the old church) include a brass to Sir John Crocker, one to Mary Coppelston, (an arched recess with kneeling figures against the tomb-chest), and several to members of the Bastard family. This rare book was produced from a digital copy held by the University of Michigan Library that can be downloaded from Google Books. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. Those on which copyright has expired are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
Bellamy, J C 245, 248
Butterfield, Mr 249
Crocker family 246
Crocker, J Esq 247
Toreus 245