[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ZEAL MONACHORUM, (or Monk Zeal) a parish and township in the hundred of North Tawton, county Devon, 15 miles N.W. of Exeter, 8 N.W. of Crediton, and 2 S.W. of the Morchard Road station of the North Devon railway. The village is situated on the river Yeo. The soil in the southern part is a red fertile loam, and in the northern clay upon a subsoil of rock. Sandstone is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £419, and 53 acres of glebe. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a mixed National school. The charities produce about £16 per annum. J. H. Ley, Esq., is lord of the manor.