"This parish, which comprises the townships of St. Andrew's Auckland, Bishop Auckland, Pollards's Land, Coundon Grange, part of Binchester, and part of Newton Cap, is bounded on the north by Byer's Green, on the north-west by Hunwick, on the west by Escomb, on the south-west by St. Helen'sAuckland, on the south by Heighington, on the south-east and east by Shildon, and on the north-east by Coundon and Whitworth. The township of Middlestone, not incorporated in any of the newly formed chapelry districts, but which formerly constituted the north-east extremity of the parish of St. Andrew's Auckland, was in April 1845 annexed to the parish of Merrington. This district abounds in coal and lime; the soil is generally well suited to the production of corn, turnips, &c.; and the scenery is finely diversified by hill and dale, wood and water.
"St. Andrew's Auckland Township, in the parish of the same name, comprises 1186 acres, and its annual value is £12,749.
"The village of Auckland St. Andrew, or South Church, as it is now usually called, is situated on the river Gaunless, which is at this place crossed by a stone bridge of one arch, and is one mile south from Bishop Auckland, and eleven south-south-west from Durham. It contains a brewery,and a manure manufactury formerly occupied as a foundry, but situated in the township of Bishop Auckland. The Gaunless sometimes overflows its banks at this village, and causes considerable damage."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]