"This was formed a distinct parish in 1865, and is bounded on the north by the parish of Staindrop, on the north-west by that of Middleton-in-Teesdale, on the south-west and south by the river Tees, and on the east by the chapelry of Whorlton. It comprises the townships of Barnard Castle and Marwood, Streatlam and Stainton, and Westwick. Barnard Castle was formerly a chapelry in the gift of the vicar of Gainford.
"The township of Barnard Castle, with Marwood, has an area of 7682 acres, with a ratable value in 1892, of £22,600. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1885, Marwood was added to Barnard Castle township; previous to that time it was a distinct township, having an area of 3675 acres.
"Barnard Castle is situated 25 miles south-west from Durham, 16 west-north-west from Darlington, 39 from Gateshead, 38 from Sunderland, and 224 north-north-west from London. Its population in 1851 was 4357, of whom 2088 were males and 2269 females. There was at the same period 644 inhabited houses, 8 uninhabited, and 11 in process of erection. The town, which is about a mile in length, is situated on the southern slope of a hill, descending steeply to the river Tees, and is approached from the north-east by the Bowes and Sunderland turnpike road, which connects it with Staindrop, Bishop Auckland, &c. There is a broad street or suburb running from east to west, called Galgate or Gallowgate, and, according to old maps and some authorities, the ancient town of Marwood stood here previous to the erection of Barnard Castle. The street is supposed to have derived its name from having been in ancient times the place of execution for the barony."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]