is bounded on the north by the parish of Greatham, on the north-west and north by a portion of Elwick Hall and Grindon, on the south-west by Norton, on the south by the same parish and the river Tees, and on the east by the estuary of the Tees. It comprises the townships of Billingham and Cowpen-Bewley.
"Billingham Township contains 3139 acres, and its annual value is £29,011.
"The village, about two and a half miles north-east of Stockton, is pleasantly situated on rising ground, from which fine views are obtained of the surrounding country, and the Yorkshire hills across the Tees."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]