"This parish comprises the townships of Bishopton, East and West Newbiggin, and Little Stainton, and is annexed to the Sedgefield Union. It is bounded on the north by Stillington, on the north-west by Great Stainton, on the west by Aycliffe, on the south-west and south by Haughton-le-Skerne and Sadberge, on the south-east by Long Newton and Elton and on the east by Redmarshall.

"The village of Bishopton is pleasantly situated on an eminence, about six miles west-north-west from Stockton, and consists of two open rows of good houses. The parish feast is held on St. Peter's Day.

The area of the township is 2102 acres, and its annual value is £1882, 13s.

"East and West Newbiggin Township comprises an area of 831 acres, and its annual value is £456. The township is about six miles west of Stockton.

"Little Stainton Township contains 1083 acres, and its annual value is £754. Here is an extensive brick and tile works, carried on by Mr. Joseph Hill. The hamlet of Little Stainton is situated about seven miles west by north of Stockton, and a mile south of Stainton-le-Street."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]



The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.



"Bishopton TownshipThe number of inhabitants in 1801 was 349; in 1811, 312; in 1821, 365; in 1831, 423; in 1841, 362; in 1851, 365; in 1861, 342; in 1871, 409; in 1881, 349; in 1891, 357 souls.

"East and West Newbiggin Township The population in 1801 was 42; in 1811, 34; in 1821, 26; in 1831, 35; in 1841, 37; in 1851, 37; in 1861, 33; in 1871, 44; in 1881, 39; in 1891, 40.

"Little Stainton Township Contained in 1801, 59 inhabitants; in 1811, 62; in 1821, 62; in 1831, 54; in 1841, 74; in 1851, 82; in 1861, 73; in 1871, 62; in 1881, 70; in 1891, 63."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 32) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.


Church History

"The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is situated in the centre of the village, and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1846-47, at a cost of £1200, chiefly defrayed by the vicar, Rev. T. B. Holgate, and his sisters. It now consists of a nave, north aisle, chancel, vestry at the east end of the north aisle, and a western tower, under which is the principal entrance to the church. The chancel is separated from the nave by a pointed arch, and contains a triple lancet eastern window of stained glass, the centre portion representing the Lamb bearing the banner. The reredos was placed in the chancel in June 1890, by subscription amongst friends and parishioners in memory of the late vicar, Rev. Charles H. Ford, thirty years vicar of this parish. It is of Caen stone, richly carved, in the Gothic style, with irish and Devonshire marble pillars, with alabaster cross in the centre. There are 300 sittings in the church, 100 of which are free and unappropriated."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (17 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Peter, Bishopton; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.


Church Records

The parish register commences in 1653. [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1649-1965 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Bis).

Marriage indexes for 1653-1837 (11 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1653-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bishopton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ365213 (Lat/Lon: 54.585692, -1.436377), Bishopton which are provided by: