"This parish, which comprises no dependent townships, is bounded on the north by Easington parish, on the west by the chapelry of Wingate (formed of portions of the parishes of Castle Eden and Kelloe), and on the south and east by Monk Hesleden. It comprises an area of 1935 acres, and its annual value is £8473.
"The village of Castle Eden is situated two and a half miles from the sea, a little off the main road from Stockton to Sunderland, about fifteen miles north of the former and twelve miles south of the latter place. It consists of about seventeen cottages with flower gardens in front. Here is a school for girls and infants, with an average of 78 scholars."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]