"The parish of Coniscliffe
, which comprises the townships of High or Church Coniscliffe, and Low Coniscliffe, is bounded on the north by Heighington, on the west by Gainford, on the south by the river Tees, and on the east by Darlington. Its area is 3008 acres. The property was valued in 1893, at £4259.
"The village of Coniscliffe is beautifully situated along the brink of a long ridge of limestone rock, half a mile from the Tees, and on its north bank. The limestone has been wrought to the very walls of the churchyard, and on the vicarage stands almost on the extreme edge of the precipice, which here forms a perpendicular cliff. Coniscliffe is four and a half miles west of Darlington, and about a mile east from Piercebridge."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]