"This district, comprising the townships of Hett and Sunderland Bridge, formerly belonging to the parishes of Merrington and St. Oswald respectively, with a small portion of the townships of Elvet and Ferryhill, was formed by an Order in Council, bearing date June 10, 1843. It is bounded on the north by the River Wear, on the north-west and west by Brancepeth parish, on the south by the road which divides the townships of Hett and Ferryhill in the parish of Merrington, and on the south-east and east by the parishes of Kelloe and Bishop Middleham. The population of the district in 1851 was 438 souls.
"Hett, a township and village formerly included in the parish of Merrington, was attached to that of Croxdale in June 1843. The township comprises and area of 1279 acres, and its annual value is £2964.
Sunderland Bridge is a township and village containing 1376 acres, and its annual value is £5673."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]