Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Darlington

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Darlington

Primary tabs

"The ancient parish of Darlington comprises the townships, Archdeacon Newton, Blackwell with Oxenhall or Oxen-le-Field, Cockerton, and Darlington, whose united area is about 7856 acres. Its boundaries are Haughton-le-Skerne on the north, Heighington on the north-west; on the west the Tees and Coniscliffe; on the south and south-east Hurworth, and on the east Sadberge. There are now six additional parishes in the town, formed at various periods since 1843, when Holy Trinity was formed, to the formation of St. Hilda's in 1889.

"The township of Darlington comprises an area of 3569 acres. Its annual value is £149,418. The population of the municipal borough is 38,600, and of the parliamentary borough, 38,033, the one being co-extensive with the other, with the exception of Oxen-le-Field being excluded from the parliamentary. The area is 3909 acres, and in 1891 there were 7215 inhabited houses, 181 uninhabited, and 25 being built at the census of that year; there were 18,485 males and 19,575 females."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

topup

Archives and Libraries

Darlington Centre for Local Studies
Crown Street
Darlington
County Durham
DL1 1ND
Tel: 01325 349630
Fax: 01325 381556
holds a lot of the family history resources that Durham Record Office have for Darlington as copies on microfilm.

local.studies[at]darlington.gov[dot]uk

topup

Cemeteries

The monumental inscriptions in the churchyard of St. Cuthbert have been transcribed, indexed and published by the Cleveland Family History Society.

topup

Census

The 1851 Census Index (booklets 41a (Parish of St. John), 41b (Parish of St. Cuthbert), and 41c (parish of Holy Trinity) ) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

topup

Church History

Darlington, St Cuthbert:

"St. Cuthbert's Collegiate Church, which, next to Durham Cathedral, is the most beautiful church in the county, is supposed to have been erected by Bishop Pudsey. In reference to this fine example of early architecture, it was said by the late Sir Gilbert Scott to be "on the whole one of the most uniform parish churches he knew anywhere, and one of the most beautiful." The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower and spire rising from the intersection of the nave and transepts."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Darlington, Holy Trinity:

"Church is a neat structure in the Early English style, situated on the road from Darlington to Cockerton and Staindrop, about half a mile west-north-west from the market-place. The foundation-stone was laid by the Bishop of Durham on the 4th October 1836; and an ecclesiastical district, to which this church is attached, was formed by an Order in Council dated April 3, 1843. This district consists of Archdeacon Newton, part of Cockerton, and part of the township of Darlington."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

topup

Church Records

Darlington, St Cuthbert: "The parish register dates from 1590." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1590-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SC).

The Marriages (1560-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

Darlington, Holy Trinity: The registers for the period 1843-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.HT).

Darlington, St Hilda: The registers for the period 1888-1985 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SH).

Darlington, St James: The registers for the period 1873-1962 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.Ja).

Darlington, St John: The registers for the period 1847-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SJ).

Darlington, St Luke: The registers for the period 1884-1978 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SL).

Darlington, St Paul: The registers for the period 1872-1973 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SP).

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Darlington are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

  • Cockerton 1901-1962 (EP/Cok).
  • Darlington, St Columba 1950-1990 (EP/Da.SCo).
  • Darlington, St Herbert 1939-1982 (EP/DaSHe).
  • Darlington, St Matthew 1923-1983 (EPDa.SMa).

The following records are available for non conformist churches in the parish:-

  • Congregational
    • copies of pre-1837 baptism registers are available (M5/1-5).
  • Methodist
    • Albert Road: baptisms 1927-1973.
    • Bondgate (Wesleyan): baptisms 1812-1837.
    • Circuit Registers:
      • North Road (Wesleyan): baptisms 1873-1934.
    • Corporation Road (Wesleyan): marriages 1904-1964.
    • Greenbank Road (Primitive): marriages 1899-1965.
    • Haughton Road: baptisms 1935-1987
    • Hopetown: baptisms 1932-1959, marriages 1934-1948.
    • Nestfield (Unitarian): baptisms 1873-1962, marriages 1934-1962.
    • North Road (Wesleyan): baptisms 1873-1965, marriages 1899-1965.
    • Paradise terrace: marriages 1899-1970.
    • Park Street (Wesleyan): baptisms 1923-1937.
    • Rise Carr (Primitive): baptisms 1906-1967, marriages 1900-1966.
    • Victoria Road (MNC): baptisms 1881-1966, marriages 1933-1966.
  • Roman Catholic
    • St Augustine: baptism, marriage & burial registers 1837-1981 (RC/Da.SA).
    • copies of pre-1837 baptism registers are available M5/1-5).
  • Society of Friends
    • Darlington Preparative Meeting 1670-1897 (SF/Da/PM).
    • Stockton/Darlington Monthly Meeting 1675-1900 (SF/Da/MM).

topup

Description and Travel

"It is a prosperous and increasing town on the great North Road, 18 miles south of Durham, 11 west-south-west of Stockton, 16 east-south-east of Richmond, and 237 north-north-west of London. It possesses many attractive surroundings, especially on the south and west, where the aspect of the country is picturesque and well-wooded, and adorned by many fine mansions, the residences of the principal gentry of this part of the county. The town is well laid out, and is considered one of the cleanest towns in the North."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

You can see pictures of Darlington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Darlington to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Darlington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The Durham Victoria County History's new website. Most of the historical information on it at present is about Darlington.
topup