"St. Margaret's and St. Oswald's are parishes formed at an early date, the former from St. Oswald's, and St. Oswald's from St. Giles or St. Nicholas, but neither exercise the township rights enjoyed by the mother parishes. St. Cuthbert is of quite modern foundation."
"Durham College, including the Cathedral, is like the Bailies, and contains 28 acres, with a ratable value of £1049, and a population of 91 in 1871; 66 in 1881; and 107 in 1891.
"The Castle, 9 acres in area, ratable value of £816, and a population of 29 in 1871; 33 in 1881; and in 1892 there were 35 souls.
"Magdalen Place, another extra-parochial place, although for all practical purposes it has ceased to be a parish, is still recognised as separate, the inhabitants having no parochial rights in any other church, and are without a church. The ruined chapel of St. Mary Magdalen stands on the north side of Gilesgate, near to the old railway station. This was the chapel of the Hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, which stood near it, and included in-brethren and out-brethren and also sisters. It has not been used for services since the Restoration, though there have been interments in the cemetery, which has now been closed for many years. The area of Magdalen Place is 27 acres, its ratable value is £453, and its population in 1871 was 16; in 1881, 27; and in 1891 there were only 16.
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Durham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Durham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ269425 (Lat/Lon: 54.776698, -1.583334), Durham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)