"This is one of two districts exercising the rights of townships. It includes the parish of St. Mary's in the South Bailey, commonly called St. Mary-the-Less. The South Bailey is remarkably small, having only 4 acres, with a population in 1871 of 118, in 1881 of 115, in 1891 of 103, and a ratable value of £835 in 1892. Portions of the old city wall are met with in some of the gardens of the houses at the southern end of this Bailey."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]