"This is one of two districts exercising the rights of townships. It includes the parish of St. Mary's in the North Bailey, commonly called St. Mary-le-Bow. The area of North Bailey is 14 acres, its ratable value £2023, and the population in 1871 was 324; in 1881, 334; and in 1891, 302. The houses were anciently occupied by military tenants, bound to contribute to the defence of the castle; for this reason many of the tenements acquired distinct names, some from their owner and others from circumstances connected with them."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]