"The parish of Easington is bounded on the north by Hawthorn, on the south by Castle Eden, on the east by the sea, and on the west by Shotton and Haswell. It comprises the township of Easington and part of Shotton.
"Easington Township contains 5217 acres, and its annual value is £7169, 13s.
"The village of Easington, which gives its name to the ward and deanery, is situated on the turnpike road between Stockton and Sunderland, seventeen miles north of the former, and ten south of the latter place. It stands on elevated ground, which gradually slopes towards the sea, and its church tower affords a good landmark to sailors in the neighbourhood of the coast.
"Little Thorpe, or Thorpe-Nigh-Easington, is a hamlet about a mile south of Easington, and is included in the same manor."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]