"Ebchester is a small parish, separated from Northumberland by the river Derwent, and is bounded on the east and south by Medomsley and on the west by Benfieldside. The area is 478 acres, and the ratable value is £3023. The township of Ebchester is almost entirely the property of Sherburn Hospital.
"Ebchester Village is situated twelve miles west-south-west from Newcastle, and "though it stands at the foot of a long descent, sloping towards the north, yet it is scattered along the edge of a still deeper declivity, which overhangs the green haughs of the Derwent." Ebchester is built right upon the site of a Roman station.In this it differs from many other successors of Roman towns, which are generally situated at a little distance from the ancient sites; Lanchester, for example, which is to the south of Ebchester, and Corbridge to the north, on the same great Roman highway, or Watling Street. They are situated a few hundred yards from what were the centres of Roman civilisation sixteen hundred years ago. Ebchester, however, stands right upon the old site, and Roman ramparts, Roman altars, and Roman remains of all kinds are mingles in singular confusion with the gardens, cottages, roads, and church of to-day."
"The ancient name of Ebchester was Vindomoro, which signifies in the British language, "The edge of the Black Moor." When the Romans had departed from the land, it received the name it now bears which is identical with "Upchester," and signifies "The Camp on the Height."
"After the Roman town fell into ruins, the whole neighbourhood of Ebchester appears to have become one dense forest. The beauty of the situation, however, rising rapidly from the banks of the Derwent - "the Smiling Water" - and its retired character, seem to have attracted hermits, so that in Bishop Pudsey's time it was known as "the place of Anchorites."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]