"The Church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is an ancient building of stone of Saxon date, consisting of nave and chancel, supported by short buttresses of later date, with small bell gable at the west end. On the accession of the present rector, the building, then much dilapidated, was put into thorough repair, and reseated for 100, accommodation being provided in the chancel for the choir; a vestry has also been added on the north. A list of rectors exists, dating from A.D. 1275. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £6, 11s. 4d.; gross income, £310. There are about 500 acres of glebe land, mostly of inferior quality, including much moorland. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham; rector, the Rev. Walker Featherstonhaugh, M.A., who was instituted in 1856."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]