"The parish of Egglescliffe is bounded on the north by Stockton, on the north-west by Redmarshall, on the west by Middleton St. George, and on the east and south by the river Tees. It comprises the townships of Aislaby, Egglescliffe, and Newsham.
"The village of Aislaby is situated one mile west-north-west of Yarm, and five south-west by south of Stockton. The old manor house is now used as a public house and farm.
" Egglescliffe Township contains 1350 acres, and the property assessed to the county rate in 1891 was valued at £10,939, 10s.
"The Stockton and Darlington Railway intersects this township, and has a station at Eaglescliffe Junction. The North-Eastern Railway enters the county of Durham at Egglescliffe by the Yarm Viaduct, a handsome structure of 43 arches, each of about 40 feet span; and the Yarm station, for passengers, goods, &c., is situated near the High Road.
"Egglescliffe is supposed to derive its name from Ecclesia Church-on-the-Cliffe, or, as it has been interpreted by those who claim an earlier origin, Church-by-the-Flood, being Celtic.
"The village of Egglescliffe is situated on the steep and lofty northern bank of the Tees, and overlooks the curve on that river which nearly surrounds the peninsula upon which the town of Yarm is situated. The time worn pedestal of an ancient cross stands in the open space in the centre of the village. A paper-mill was commenced here in 1830 by Charles T. Bainbridge & Sons, and is still carried on under the same name. Egglescliffe is connected to Yarm by a stone bridge, said to have been erected about the year 1400. It consisted originally of five pointed arches; and there is a tradition that the north arch was cut, and formed into a drawbridge, during the civil wars, when Egglescliffe, with Stockton, was garrisoned by the Royalists. The north arch has, since that time, been rebuilt in a semicircular form. An iron bridge was erected here in 1805, at a cost of £8000; but, owing to some defect in its construction, it fell in 1806, and has not since been restored.
"Urlay Nook is a hamlet in this township, about three-quarters of a mile north of Egglescliffe, where there is a chemical works."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]