"This was formed into a distinct parish in 1859, and comprises the township of the same name.
"Eggleston is a township, formerly the western portion of Middleton parish, and containing an area of 7917 acres. The annual value is £3491.
"The village of Eggleston is situated about four miles south-west of Middleton, and six north by west of Barnard Castle. It is intersected by a small stream, which rises in the neighbouring hills, and communicates with Yorkshire by a bridge over the river. The London Lead Company have a smelting mill at a short distance from the village, erected under the direction of Robert Stagg, Esq., and so constructed and arranged that the lead requires no lifting, but descends from process to process, until it is brought out as lead at the lower part of the mill."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]