"Embleton Township comprises an area of 3356 acres, and its ratable value is £1841. The Stockton and Castle Eden Branch of the North-Eastern Railway passes through this township, having a station at Wynyard, opened as a passenger station in 1880, and for mineral traffic in 1878.
"The hamlet of Embleton is situated four miles east by south of Sedgefield, and contains a chapel-of-ease, in which the curates of the mother-church officiate on Sundays. It was anciently called Elmdene, a name supposed to be derived from an elm wood which formerly flourished in the neighbouring dene."
"Swainston is a hamlet in this township, about three miles south of Sedgefield. The estate, which comprises the farms of High, Middle, and Low Swainston, was the property of the Nevilles from the year 1370 till the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by whom they were granted on the attainder of the Earl of Westmorland, to Thomas Calcerley and Henry Anderson. It afterwards passed to the Tempest family, and is now thw property of the Marquis of Londonderry."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]