Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Gateshead Fell

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Gateshead Fell

Primary tabs

"The extensive and elevated tract of ground called Gateshead Fell was formerly part of the parish of Gateshead, under which all the returns are included; it was made a distinct parish and rectory in 1808 by an Act of Parliament."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]


Church History

"St. John's Church is an elegant stone structure, erected in 1826, at a cost of about £3200. It consists of nave, small chancel, and handsome square embattled tower, which is surmounted by a chaste spire, 148 feet high, altogether forming a striking and conspicuous feature for many miles round. Its style is the Late Decorated, the windows being lofty, and each composed of two lights, that in the east being in the Perpendicular style. The interior is somewhat plain, and marred by the poor appearance of the chancel, which is very small, the chancel arch being the same. The church was thoroughly restored about 1883, at a cost of £2340, when the chancel was somewhat improved by raising two broad steps into the nave, and fitting it with stalls, and an organ loft on the north. There is a gallery at the west end, the total seating being for 500. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, held by the Rev. John Wilmore Hooper, and valued at £300."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]


Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1825-1986 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/GF).

Baptisms for 1825 - 1839 (62 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

Marriage indexes for 1825-1837 (21 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1825-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.


Description and Travel

"Sheriff Hill is a large straggling village in the Gateshead Fell parish, two miles south of the town, and derives its name form the ancient custom of the sheriff of Newcastle meeting the judges coming to that town. It was customary for the sheriff to go as far as Sheriff Hill with his retinue till late in the last century, after which he "halted at a public-house, known as the sign of the Cannon." From the lofty height near the church of St. John, a most charming, and perhaps the finest view in the north is obtained, embracing an extended stretch of the Tyne valley, with the thickly wooded heights of Ravensworth, and undulating hills beyond to the west. The distant southern view extends as far as Durham, with Chester-le-Street intervening, and to north and east it commands views of Newcastle and the sea. There are many fine residences in and around this district, which possesses fine and well kept grounds, adding much to the aspect of the place. In the eastern portion, many of the houses are in a ruinous state, whilst others have entirely disappeared.

"Redheugh, which is now a thickly populated district near the Teams, was the name of a handsome mansion, situated within its well-wooded grounds till the early years of this century."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Terraces, houses etc. listed under street names in the trade directories of 1897-8, 1918 and 1939, for the town of Gateshead and the villages of Low Fell and Wrekenton. (Compiled by Eileen Carnaffin (Gateshead Local Studies Librarian)).

You can see pictures of Gateshead Fell which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gateshead Fell to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gateshead Fell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Gateshead Libraries local history project with lots of local-history information and photographs from Gateshead and the villages in the Gateshead MBC area. These include pages for Birtley, Dunston and Low Fell.

There is a scanned copy of "A Short History of Gateshead" by I. C. Carlton.


Military Records

"Gateshead County Borough War Dead 1914-1918". This has never even been on public display before, - it lists 1551 names with regiments, service no and rank. It covers only Gateshead and Gareshead Fell.

"Officers and Men from the Gateshead Area who gained Honours during the Great War 1914-1918". This has 374 names. Gateshead Library have photographs of all of them and can supply copies.

Brian Pears has listed Names on the Boer War Memorials at Durham Road, Low Fell and Saltwell Park, Gateshead.