"The Church, dedicated to All Saints, occupying an elevated situation west of the village, was erected in 1876, at a cost of £1800, on the site of the very ancient church. It consists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire, in the Early English style. The internal fittings are of pitch pine, well designed and finished, providing seats for 160. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £12, 13s. 4d. ; gross value, £350. The glebe contains upwards of 47 acres; the tithes are commuted for £270 - £200 fro Great Stainton Township, and £70 for Elstob. The patronage is vested in the crown, Rector, Rev. Henry Morton, B.A."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]