"Greatham Parish comprises the townships of Claxton and Greatham. It is bounded on the north-east and north by the chapelry of Seaton Carew and the parish of Stranton, on the west and south-west by the parish of Elwick Hall and the chapelry of Wolviston, on the south by Billingham, and on the east by the sea-march in the estuary of the Tees.
"Claxton Township has an area of 880 acres, and the annual value is £879.
comprises an area of 2174 acres, including 689 Greatham Hospital extra-parochial, and its annual value is £7975.
"The village of Greatham is pleasantly situated on the ridge of a hill, about six and three-quarters of a mile north-east by north from Stockton, and two and a half north-wet from the estuary of the the Tees. The annual feast is held on St. John the Baptist's day, the feast of the dedication of the church, at which races and rural sports are continued for some days."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]