"The Old Church, dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, now a ruin, stands in a field a little to the east of the road between Durham and Stockton. The south porch is called Fulthorp's Porch, and conatins some sculptured slabs. This edifice having become much dilapidated, a new church was erected and consecrated at Thorp-Thewles in 1848, since which period the old church has ceased to be used as a place of worship. The church erected here in 1848 was, owing to some defect in its construction, pulled down in 1886, and the present building, dedicated to St. James, builton the same site, in 1887. It is a handsome stone structure, in Pointed style, consisting of nave, chancel, with bell-turret at the west end. The cost, £3250, was defrayed by subscription."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]