"This parish was formed in 1864, from St. Hilda's, South Shields, and comprises the north-east portion of the township, including the village of Harton, and the hamlet of Caudwell. Since the formation of this parish, the parish of All Saints has been formed, which takes in a portion of this parish.
"Harton Township comprises an area of 1559 acres, and its ratable value is £20,163.
"In this township is the extensive Harton Colliery, which is one of the deepest in the district, and gives employment to a large number of men. It is 1300 feet deep, and it was here, in 1854, that the famous pendulum experiments of the Astronomer Royal, Sir George Buddell Airey, were carried out.
"Harton is a pleasant village, on the main road between South Shields and Sunderland, about one and a half miles from the former place, and five from the latter, and about one mile west from the sea. It contains several handsome dwellings."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]