"This parish is bounded on the north by Aycliffe and Bishopton, on the north-west by Heighington, on the west by Darlington, on the south by Hurworth-on-Tees, and on the south-east and east by Sadberge. It comprises the townships of Haughton, Great Burdon, Barmpton with Skerningham, Coatham-Mundeville including Humbleton and Greystones, and Whessoe with Beaumont Hill.
"Haughton-le-Skerne, a township in the parish of the same name, comprises an area of 1823 acres, and its annual value is £7899. The village of Haughton-le-Skerne is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the river Skerne, one and a half miles from Darlington. It is built on a dry gravelly soil, and has a fine spacious thoroughfare, on each side of which are several substantial residences. A group of noble elms, standing between the ancient church and the entrance to the village, gives it a most picturesque aspect. A building, formerly giving employment as a flax mill or shoe thread manufactory, ceased to be used for this purpose many years ago. Bewick, the celebrated painter, who was for many years a resident here, is buried in the churchyard.
"Barmpton Township contains 1504 acres, its ratable value being £1641. The hamlet of Barmpton is situated in a deep valley, on the left bank of the Skerne, about three miles north-east of Darlington.
"Great Burdon This township contains an area of 580 acres; its ratable value is £1034. The village of Great Burdon is situated on the road leading from Darlington to Stockton about two miles north-east from the former place, and consists of an inn, a few respectable farmhouses, and some cottages.
"The township of Coatham Mundeville, including the manor of Greystones, comprises an area of 1633 acres, the farm called Newhouse being added about the year 1884. The property is rated at £2051. The village of Coatham Mundeville is on the great North Road, four miles north of Darlington, and contains Coatham Hall Garth and Coatham Hall, two pleasantly situated residences. The former is a very intersting old residence, and has been described as "a large and convenient house." Its situation is most pleasant, being sheltered by fine trees. A little to the west of the village is the chapel-of-ease to Haughton-le-Skerne, It is a small brick building, erected in 1865, and will accomodate 130 people."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]