"This parish formerly comprised the townships of Coatsay Moor, Heighington, Middridge Grange, Redworth, School Aycliffe, and Walworth. Coatsay Moor was merged in the township of Heighington in 1885, and Middridge Grange is in the parish of New Shildon, as is also a portion of Redworth township lying north-west, and including Brusselton village. This parish is now bounded on the north by New Shildon parish, on the west and south-west by Gainford and Denton, on the south by Darlington, on the south-east by Haughton-le-Skerne, and on the east by Aycliffe.
"Heighington Township now embraces Coatsay Moor, which, up to 1885, was an independent township, having an area of 434 acres. The area of this township, including Coatsay Moor, is 2177 acres, and the ratable vale £4004.
The village of Heighington commands a pleasant southern prospect, being on the south slope of an elevated limestone hill, six miles north-north-west from Darlington. It is healthy and open, the houses surrounded by a large green, in the centre of which stands the church, the school, and a few houses, giving it the appearance of having two greens. The village is supplied with water from a pant, and there being no telegraphic communication, a telephone was opened in 1891.
"Haughton Bank is a hamlet two miles west of Heighington, on the West Auckland Road. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel of stone, built in 1866. Broom Dykes is another hamlet on the same road, about a mile west of the village."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]