"This populous parish includes the townships of Houghton-le-Spring, and Warden-Law. The ancient parish consisted of the townships of Hetton-le-Hole, Penshaw, East Rainton, West Rainton, Newbottle, East and Middle Herrington, West Herrington, Offerton, South Biddick, Burn Moors, Morton Grange, Cocken, Moor House, Moorsley, Eppleton, Little Eppleton, and Warden Law, and was bounded by Bishopwearmouth on the north-east, by the river Wear on the north, by Chester-le-Street on the west, by St. Giles parish on the south-west, Pittington and Easington on the south, and Dalton-le-Dale and Seaham on the east.
"Wardenlaw is a small township, two miles east of Houghton-le-Spring. Its area is 498 acres, and its ratable value is £3219, 10s."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]