"This ancient parish includes the village of East Hetton in the township of Coxoe, and Garmondsway Moor, an extra-parochial place. The population in 1891 was 2570.
"Kelloe Township contains the village called Kelloe Town and the hamlet called Church Kelloe, the latter of which is situated half a mile west of the former, and contains the parish church. It is five and a half miles south-south-east of Durham and five miles north of Sedgefield. West View is another hamlet, containing about eighty houses, occupied by the workmen at the colliery. Kelloe Hall. Situated at Town Kelloe, is now used as a farmhouse.
"East Hetton is a colliery village, situated about one mile east of Coxhoe in that township, but is in the parish of Kelloe. Here are chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and primitives, also a Board school, erected in 1877 by the Coxhoe School Board, at a cost of £1880, and enlarged in 1892, at a further cost of £700. The building has two departments, mixed and infants, with accommodation for about 400 children, and an average attendance of 360."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]