"This parish is bounded on the north by Low Fell, on the east by Eighton Banks, on the south by Birtley, on the west by Tanfield, and on the north-west by Whickham. A large portion of the parish of Eighton Banks was formed from this parish, which still embraces the townships of Hedley, Kibblesworth, Lamesley (part of), and Ravensworth.

"Hedley Township. The ratable values of the township is £1633.

"Kibblesworth Township. The ratable value of this township is £7974.

"Lamesley Township - This township, which gives its name to the parish, is rich in coal, and stone of a superior quality, well adapted for the purpose of mill and grind stones. There are several large quarries at work in this township, and coal is extensively wrought at the Ravensworth collieries. Its ratable value is £28,676."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]



Hedley Township

"Its population in 1801 was 54; in 1811 it was returned with Lamesley; in 1821, 49; in 1831, 44; in 1841, 46; in 1851, 42, since which time the returns have been given with Lamesley."

Kibblesworth Township

"There were in 1801 202 inhabitants; in 1811 it was given with Lamesley; in 1821, 237; in 1831, 246; in 1841, 219; in 1851, 467. It has since 1851 been returned with Lamesley."

Lamesley Township

"In 1801 the population was 1705; in 1811 (the whole parish), 2054; in 1821 (Lamesley), 1720; in 1831, 1910; in 1841, 1846; in 1851, 1914; in 1861, the number was 3234; from which time the whole parish has been included. The return for 1871 was 3817; in 1881; 4670; and in 1891, 4927 souls."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]


Church History

"The Church is a neat stone edifice in the Early English style, which was rebuilt in 1759, consisting of nave, and chancel with square western tower, the latter being added in 1821. About 1847 the chancel was rebuilt and the church restored; the cost, which amounted to £1600, was defrayed by Lord Ravensworth. In 1884, it was again restored at a cost of £1400, when the chancel arch was widened and raised, and an organ chamber and vestry added. The internal fittings are of oak, the seating accommodation being for 380. This chapelry formed the second prebend to the collegiate church of Chester, founded in 1286; but the chapel existed previous to that period. At the dissolution a slight provision was made for a perpetual curate. The living is now a vicarage, the Earl of Ravensworth being the lay rector, who receives the great tithes, the vicar taking the small tithes. The gross income is £220, and the vicar is the Rev. Robert William Snape."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

There is a picture (82 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Andrew, Lamesley; supplied by Bill Henderson.


Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1603-1987 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Lam).

Indexes to the Baptisms 1730-1797:-

Marriage indexes for 1689-1837 (66 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

The Marriages (1689-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Lamesley are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-

  • Eighton Banks 1857-1979 (EP/EB).
  • Low Team, St. Paul 1872-1981 (EP/LT).

Description & Travel

"The village of Lamesley occupies a pleasant situation on the Team, to the south-west of Gateshead Fell, and about four miles south of Gateshead.

"Bewick Main is a hamlet populated entirely by miners employed at the colliery, about one mile south of Lamesley; Team Colliery and Low Eighton are also colliery hamlets, on the high road between Gateshead and Birtley.

"The village of Kibblesworth is one mile south from Lamesley, and five south from Gateshead. Here is a Mechanics' Institute, under the patronage of the colliery proprietors, established about 1860, containing reading-room, and library of about 300 volumes.

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

You can see pictures of Lamesley which are provided by:





You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ251578 (Lat/Lon: 54.914613, -1.609926), Lamesley which are provided by:


Military Records

"Officers and Men from the Gateshead Area who gained Honours during the Great War 1914-1918". This has 374 names. Gateshead Library have photographs of all of them and can supply copies.