"This ancient parish formerly comprised the whole of Benfieldside and Medomsley townships, with a portion of Conside-cum-Knitsley. Since the formation of Consett and leadgate parishes, at which times portions were taken from this parish, medomsley was left with not quite the whole of the township which gives its name. The portion formerly in this parish, and still in the township of Medomsley, is a portion of Leadgate lying on the north side of the road. The area of this parish is 3500 acres and its population is 5100.
"The township of Medomsley is principally the property of Miss Surtees of Hamsterley Hall, Hon. Gage P. Vereker, Rev. James Allgood, Miss Allgood, James Hunter Esq., and the Consett iron Company. Its area is 4823 acres, and the ratable value is £23,245.
"Medomsley Village occupies a commanding site, situated on the high ground overlooking the Derwent valley from the south, about twelve miles west by south from Newcastle, and 2 1/2 north from Consett. The site of the old manor-house, the seat of the Hunters, is now occupied by a fine new residence, occupied by W. H. Hedley, Esq. Medomsley Hall, also the residence of an older branch of the Hunters, stands at the east end of the village, and is now the vicarage."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]