"This parish includes the townships of Hulam, Hutton henry, Monk Hesleden, and Sheraton. It is bounded on the north by Castle Eden, on the north-west by Trimdon parish, on the west by Kelloe, on the south by Hart, and on the east by the German Ocean. In 1883 the ecclesiastical district of St. John's was formed from the parish, and includes the populous village of Castle Eden Colliery, having a total population of 3400.
"Hulam is a small township, situated about a mile south of Castle Eden; its acreage, annual value, &c., are returned with Sheraton.
"Hutton Henry Township comprises an area of 1987 acres, and its ratable value is £7027.
"The village of Hutton Henry occupies an elevated situation, about two miles south of Castle Eden, and contains a chapel-of-ease to Monk Hesleden. There is a Catholic chapel, dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul. A new chapel is about to be erected, the present one, with a dwelling house adjoining, called Hutton House, which were erected in 1824, being much too small. Rev. Henry Cartmell, priest. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
"Monk Hesleden (anciently Heselden Monocorum) Township is principally the property of Cotsford Burdon, Esq., Thomas Theakston, Esq., and the trustees of the late Thomas Belk. Its area is 2453 acres, and its annual value is £7670.
"The village of Monk Hesleden is situated on the verge of a deep wooded dene about a mile and a half from the sea, and two miles south-east of Castle Eden.
"High Hesleden is a hamlet situated about one mile east of Castle Eden Colliery.
"Castle Eden Colliery is a large village in this township, and contains several well-built streets, a church, several chapels, schools, and a library and reading-room. It is distant five and a half miles north-west from Hartlepool, and within two miles from the sea coast, and has a station on the Hartlepool, Ferryhill, and Sunderland branch line."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]