"This parish, which comprises the manor of Blakiston, but forms only one township, is bounded on the north-east and north by Billingham parish, on the north-west by Grindon, on the west by Redmarshall, and on the south and east by Stockton. Its area is 4614 acres, and the annual value of the property assessed to the county rate in 1893 was £30,000.
"The village of Norton occupies a pleasant situation on the road between Stockton and Sunderland, about two miles north of the former place. At the north end is a spacious green, surrounded by houses, and an avenue of fine trees runs the length of the village. In consequence of its healthful situation, Norton has long been a favourite place of residence with many professional gentlemen and merchants of Stockton, &c.
"The iron works, situated close by the station, established in 1855 by the West Hartlepool Iron Company, and affording employment to nearly 1500 hands, were laid out in 1877."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]