"The village of Offerton is situated about four miles west-south-west of Sunderland. Two persons from Offerton joined the rebellion of the North, one of whom was executed.
"The village of Penshaw is about three miles north-by-east of Houghton-le-Spring, and "derives its name from the British Pen and the Saxon Shaw, a wood or thicket; thus Penshaw is the wooded hill." On the top of a lofty eminence, called Painshaw Hill, is a Grecian monument, erected to the memory of the late Right Hon. John Lambton, Earl of Durham, the foundation stone of which was laid on the 28th August 1844 by the Earl of Zetland. The estimated cost of the erection was about £6000.
"Shiney Row is a colliery village in this township, two miles west-by-north of Houghton-le-Spring. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, a handsome structure in the Early English style, erected in 1852 at a cost of £320, which sum was bequeathed by the Allen family, who resided at the village.
"Cox Green is a hamlet, partly in this township, and partly in that of Offerton, on the river-side, about five miles west of Sunderland.
"New Penshaw is another hamlet, about a quarter of a mile east of the village of Penshaw."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
There are descriptions of the following new parish within the ancient parish of Penshaw:-