, comprising the townships of Carleton and Redmarshall, is bounded on the north by Stillington and Sedgefield, on the west by Bishopton, on the south by Elton, and on the east by Norton. The townships of Carleton and Redmarshall are included in the Stockton Poor Law Union.
"Carleton Township has an area of 1334 acres, and its annual value is £7896.
"The village of Carlton is about four miles to the north-west of Stockton. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel erected in 1871, which will seat about 150 persons.
"Redmarshall Township contains 834 acres, and the annual value of property assessed for the County rate is £602, 10s.
"The village of Redmarshall is situated four and a half miles north-west of Stockton."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]