Hide

Sadberge

hide
Hide
"This parish was formed from that of Haughton in 1856, and comprises the townships of Morton Palms and Sadberge.

"Sadberge Township gives name to the parish and comprises an area of 1944 acres. Its ratable value was £3358 in 1893.

"The village of Sadberge occupies the summit of an eminence, on the road between Darlington and Stockton, and four miles east by north from the former place. There are several well-built houses in the village, also a tannery, which was established early in the present century. At the west end, a large reservoir has been made by the Stockton and Middlesbrough Water Board. In the centre of the green is a large boulder of mountain limestone, which was found twelve feet below the surface during the excavations.

"Morton, with Morton Palms, forms a township, comprising an area of 1271 acres, and rated to the County, in 1893, at £2284. The Stockton and Darlington Railway extends into this township. Great Morton is situated on the south side of the road from Darlington to Yarm, and Morton Palms on the north.

"Little Burdon, situated to the west of Sadberge, was formerly the property of the nuns of Neasham; and at the dissolution of the religious houses, its rents were valued at £5, 5s. 4d.

"The hamlet of Morton Palms consists of a few farms and a public house, and is three miles east from Darlington."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

Hide
topup

Census

"The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 391; in 1811, 396; in 1821, 315; in 1831, 403; in 1841, 372; in 1851, 371; in 1861, 337; in 1871, 348; in 1881, 371; and in 1891, 337 souls."

From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

The 1851 Census Index (booklet 53) published by the Cleveland Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.

topup

Church History

"The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, occupies a portion of the site of the ancient castle, gaol, and court-house, and consists of nave and chancel, which appear to have been built with the old square stones of the former buildings. It contains 300 sittings, and has a burial ground attached. From the year 1180 the building was used as a private chapel by the Bishop of Durham, as lord of the manor of Sadberge; between 1500 and 1600 it was converted into a chapel-of-ease to Haughton-le-Skerne. In 1856 it was separated from Haughton, and was made into a distinct parish. The church was restored in 1890, and seated with pitch pine benches, and new oak stalls were placed in the chancel, in which also have been erected two memorial windows of stained glass, the gift of the present rector, in memory of his parents."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

There is a picture (13 kbytes) of the parish church of St. Andrew, Sadberge; supplied by Paul R. Joiner.

topup

Church Records

The Parish Registers for the period 1662-1967 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sad).

The Marriages (1663-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Sadberge which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sadberge has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ342169 (Lat/Lon: 54.546629, -1.472168), Sadberge which are provided by: