Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Satley

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Satley

Primary tabs

"This parish, though of ancient origin as a chapelry, was only constituted a distinct parish in 1868, formerly having been a chapel-of-ease to Lanchester. It comprises the townships of Butsfield and Satley, and nearly the whole of Cornsay and Hedleyhope townships, having a total population of 2888." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]
topup

Census

Butsfield Township

"The population in 1801 and 1811 was returned with Lanchester; in 1821 it was 226; in 1831, 285; in 1841, 252; in 1851, 318. Since 1851 this township has been returned with Lanchester."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Cornsay Township

"The population in 1801 for this township was 234; in 1811, 254; in 1821, 249; in 1831, 230; in 1841, 201; in 1851, 370; in 1861, 367; in 1871, 1434; in 1881, 2327; and in 1891, 2275."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Hedleyhope Township

"Its population in 1801 was 47; in 1811, 48; in 1821, 51; in 1831, 72; in 1841, 48; in 1851, 91; in 1871, 381; in 1881, 1504; and in 1891, 1418."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Satley Township

"The population in 1801 was 78; in 1811, 88; in 1821, 103; in 1831, 112; in 1841, 132; in 1851, 287; in 1861, 139; in 1871, 148; in 1881, 275; and in 1891, 295 souls."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Satley area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

"The Church is a neat stone edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and square tower. In 1871 it was considerably enlarged and reseated, and now contains sittings for 220, many of which are free; the chancel was also rebuilt by the family of the late John Greenwell, Esq., at a cost of £400, as a tribute to his memory, and stained glass windows have also been added. In 1291, Philip de St. Helena, rector of Lanchester, granted to this chapelry a general release of all tithes, oblations, and altarage, within Satley and Butsfield. Satley afterwards became a mere chapel-of-ease to Lanchester parish, from which it was again severed on receiving an augmentation from Queen Anne's Bounty in 1768. The present parish was formed in 1868. The living is a vicarage, valued at £310, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Lewis John Warnford."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894
topup

Church Records

"The parish register commences in 1797." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

The Parish Registers for the period 1797-1960 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sat).

Marriage indexes for 1560-1837 (8 kbytes) from the George Bell Collection of Durham and Northumberland Indexes.

(N.B. We have received information that these marriages should really be for Lanchester Parish. We are putting a link to the files there but we are leaving this link in place. As with all indexes we would recommend checking with the record holder for a true copy of the register entry!)

 

The Marriages (1574-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index

topup

Description and Travel

"Butsfield Township comprises an area of 1422 acres, its ratable value being returned with Lanchester. The villages of East and West Butsfield are situated from four to five miles west of Lanchester, amidst beautiful and picturesque scenery. At West Butsfield there is a small Methodist chapel. The North-Eastern line touches this township three miles west of West Butsfield, with a station at Burnhill junction, and at Saltergate there is a depot for the quarries.
"Woodlands, in this township, affords a pleasing instance of the triumph of art and industry over the most difficult and discouraging obstacles to improvement. After a long discussion as to the wisdom of enclosing this portion of Lanchester common, the idea was abandoned, and a large tract, including over 1500 acres, was sold by the commission for about £8000, and another parcel of 300 acres, at a rent-charge of £30 per annum. This was principally bought by Thomas White, Esq., of Nottingham, who planted the smaller parcel, one-half with large trees, in addition to which he also planted many acres of fruit trees, under the shelter of another planting of over 200 acres. His spirited example was followed by others with success, and this once dreary and uninteresting tract of country now presents a most pleasing landscape, clothed with thick woods and plantations, and has become more thickly populated than would otherwise have been possible.
"Woodlands is the seat and property of W. B. van Haansbergen, Esq., J.P., and occupies a charming and elevated situation, three miles west of Lanchester, and two north of East Butsfield. The park is beautifully laid out, and the surrounding district, for a considerable extent, is thickly clothed with fir, forming a pleasing diversity in the somewhat wild and rugged landscape.
"Cornsay Township, is principally the property of the trustees of Ushaw College, Viscount Boyne, and the Weardale iron Company, Limited. Its area is 3404 acres, and ratable value, £11,352. The village of Cornsay is about three miles south from Lanchester, and nine miles west of Durham, Lanchester being the nearest railway station. This village is very pleasantly situated on the crest of an eminence, with fine and extensive views, and retains the pleasing rural simplicity which distinguishes the ancient village from the modern colliery villages now so thickly dotted throughout this county.
"Hedleyhope Township contains 1653 acres, and its ratable value is £6406. Hedleyhill Colliery is worked by the Weardale iron and Coal Co., and has been in operation about eighteen years. East Hedleyhope Colliery forms a village about three miles from Waterhouses. It is well situated, and is surrounded by fine scenery, through which the Dearness, a pleasant stream, flows eastward. Hedleyhill is another colliery village on the north-eastern boundary of the township, four miles from Tow Law. Here are most of the houses, and the school for the East Hedleyhill miners on the south side of the hill, where the colliery is situated.
"Satley Township comprises an area of 3327 acres, and its ratable value is £1617. Under the Divided Parishes Act, this township received lands from several parishes which were detached. The village of Satley occupies a pleasant situation in a narrow vale between Lanchester and Tow Law, about four miles south by west from the former, and three miles from Tow Law, the stations at these places being the nearest."

You can see pictures of Satley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Satley to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Satley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup