"That portion of the parish of Sockburn
which lies within the county of Durham, is bounded on the north-east by Dinsdale, on the north-west by Hurworth, and on the west, south and east by the Tees. It thus occupies a peninsula, formed by the windings of the river. The other portion of the parish, comprising the townships of Girsby and Over Dinsdale.
"Sockburn, a township, in the parish of the same name, about seven miles south-east by south from Darlington, comprises an area of 709 statute acres, and its annual value is £799.
"The manor of Sockburn is, as has been stated above, a long projecting peninsula, the most southern point of the county, around which the Tees sweeps with its clear waters; and, from its isolated position, long continues to maintain its secluded character. A narrow carriage-road was the only approach to the church and manor from the north, whilst the inhabitants of the Yorkshire portion of the parish had no means of attending service, except by fording or crossing the Tees in boats. The bridge, erected a few years ago at Dinsdale has now obviated this difficulty. The Roman road from Sadberge into Yorkshire crossed the river at this point."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]