was formed in 1878 from Grindon and Redmarshall. It is bounded on the north by Sedgefield, on the south by Bishopton and Redmarshall, on the east by Grindon, and west by Great Stainton. It comprises the townships of Stillington and Whitton.
"Stillington Township comprises an area of 1019 acres, and its annual value is £8572. The North-Eastern Railway extends into this township. Stillington is included in the Sedgefield Poor Law Union.
"Whitton Township comprises an area of 673 acres, and its ratable value is £8504. The hamlet of Whitton is about one mile south-east of Carlton iron-works.
"The village of Carlton Iron-Works is about five miles and a half north-west by west of Stockton, and contains about 160 houses, principally occupied by the workmen employed at the iron works. Here are the extensive works of the Carlton Iron Co., Limited, which were first established by Samuel Bastow & Co., and taken over by the present company in 1870 for the manufacture of pig iron. There are three blast furnaces, having an output of 500 tons each per week, giving employment to between four and five hundred men and boys. Here are also the works of the Basic Phosphate Co., Limited, manufacturers of ground basic manure."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]