"The parish of Stranton originally comprised the townships of Brierton, Seaton Carew, and Stranton; it was bounded on the north and west by the parish of Hart, on the south-west by Elwick Hall, on the south by Greatham, and on the east by the German Ocean. In 1841, Seaton Carew was constituted a distinct chapelry; and the district parish of Christ Church, West Hartlepool, situated in the north-east part of the township of Stranton, was formed in 1859. The civil parish of Stranton includes the town of West Hartlepool, and the district called Middleton.
"Stranton Township (which includes West Hartlepool and Middleton), comprises an area of 3695 acres, its ratable value being, in 1892, £163,983.
"The quaint old village of Stranton, after the development of the West Docks, soon became absorbed in the new town, and little remains besides the ancient church, the mill, and a few old houses, which are fast giving place to more modern dwellings."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]