"This parish formerly embraced the townships of Beamish and Lintz Green, with the villages and hamlets of Tanfield, Shield Row, Stanley, Tantobie, Whit-le-Head, Burnopfield, Lintz Ford, and Hill Top. A considerable portion of this extensive parish has been used in the formation of new parishes, the last being the parish of Beamish, which takes a large portion from the south-eastern side of the old parish. Its area is now 2250 acres, and in 1891 it comprised 3073 people.
"Tanfield Township is very extensive, the townships of Beamish and Lintz Green having been merged into it, their population and area are now given with this township. It area is 7072 acres, and the ratable value amounts to £39,760.
"Tanfield is an ancient village, situated within the manor of Beamish, nine miles south-west from Newcastle and six north from Lanchester, the nearest station being Rowlands Gill, over two miles and a half to the north-west. There is an annual Floral and Horticultural show held here."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]