is another extra-parochial place, belonging principally to Sherburn Hospital, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners having a small portion. It comprises 642 acres, with a ratable value of £2198, and in 1801 its population numbered 27; in 1811, 17; in 1821, 38; in 1831, 32; in 1841, 173; in 1851, 160; in 1861, about 272; in 1871, 285; in 1881, 135; and in 1891, 210 souls.
"Coal was extensively worked in this township, and was known in the market as "Whitwell Wallsend." The "Hutton" seam was worked at a depth of 57 fathoms, having been commenced as early as 1836; and in 1840, at a depth of 95 fathoms, the "Low Main" was worked, but all operations ceased about 1875.
"Whitwell, at the time of the compilation of Boldon Book, was held by payment of half a mark, and under Hatfield's survey, the masters of Sherburn Hospital were its proprietors. About 1660 we find a Thomas Bullocke a lessee who transferred it to his nephew, Thomas Brass, gent. The families of Middleton and Teasdale occur as joint-holders of Whitwell in 1718; and in 1806 Middleton Teasdale devised it to Jane Bacon, his aunt, who in turn transferred it to the Rev. Henry Wastell.
"The produce from this estate is supposed to be free of all toll in Durham market.
"The village of Whitwell Grange is now almost deserted, and the colliery plant and buildings have fallen into complete ruin. The few houses that are occupied are inhabited by the pitmen employed at Sherburn House Colliery. The church at the hospital provides for the needs of the population of Whitwell."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]