"This chapelry, which possesses no dependent townships, is bounded on the north by Winston parish, on the west by a portion of the chapelry of Barnard Castle, on the south by the river Tees, and on the east by the parish of Winston. It includes the estates of Arlaw Banks, Etherley, Humbleton, Sledwick, Whorley Hill, and a portion of that of Stubb House, the remainder of which extends into the adjoining parish of Winston. The township of Whorlton comprises an area of 1760 acres and its annual value is £2430.
"The village of Whorlton occupies a beautiful situation, about three miles east-south-east from Barnard Castle; the Tees with its overhanging cliffs, thickly fringed with trees, passing near it on the south. On the opposite bank is the village of Wycliffe, and a fine range of country extends in every direction. The Tees is here crossed by a fine iron suspension bridge, which was erected in 1830-31, from designs and under the direction of the late Mr. Green, architect, of Newcastle. The span between the points of suspension is 180 feet."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]