"Winston Parish contains but one township, which includes the villages of Newsham and Winston, the estates of Barford-on-the-Hill, Heighley (of Heighcliffe) Hall, Osmondcroft, and Westholme, and part of that of Stubb House. It is bounded on the north and east by Gainford parish, on the west by the chapelry of Whorlton, and on the south by the river Tees. The area of the parish is 2961 acres, and its annual value is £4971.
"The village of Winston occupies the ridge of a hill overlooking the Tees, and contains a public-house and a few tradesmen's shops. The Tees is here crossed by a fine stone bridge, if a single arch, which was long considered by the architects the largest in Europe. It is the segment of a circle, measuring 112 feet span, 22 feet broad, and 20feet between the parapet walls. The material employed is a hard blue ragstone, and the elevation renders the road nearly level with the Yorkshire side. It was erected in 1763-64, from the design of Sir Thomas Robinson, Bart., of Rokeby; and when most of the bridges in the north of England were washed away by the great flood in 1771, Winston Bridge remained uninjured. The river scenery in this neighbourhood is very fine, being almost equal to any on the Tees.
"Newsham is a pleasant little village, two miles north-west of Winston, on a by-road running from the Barnard Castle and Gainford turnpike to Staindrop. It was anciently the property of the Earls of Westmorland, and is now held by W. T. Hustler, Esq., who built the chapel, which is at present not in use. It was the chapel-of-ease to Winston; but, owing to some difficulty in appointing the curate, no service has been held for two years."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]