"Wolsingham Parish, which comprised the township or quarters of Town, East, South, and Park Quarters, with the manors or estates of Helm Park, Thornley, Bladley, Newland, and Harelaw, is bounded on the north and east by Thornley and Tow Law, on the west by Frosterley, and on the south by Hamsterley parish. Its area is 21,000 acres, and ratable value £33,499. It is partly traversed by the outcrop or boundary of the coalfield, and consequently borders on the great lead-mining district of Durham, Northumberland, and Cumberland.
"Wolsingham Town is charmingly situated on the north bank of the river, surrounded by hilly and picturesque scenery, through which the rivers Wear and Waskerley flow. It is fast becoming a place of summer resort, and well repays the visitor by its numerous and pleasant walks. It is about 16 miles west from Durham, 23 miles south-south-west from Newcastle, about 10 miles north-west from Bishop Auckland, and 260 miles north-north-west from London. The town is fairly well laid out, lighted with gas, and supplied with excellent water - the latter by the Weardale and Shildon Water Company, and the former by the Wolsingham Gas Company. There were formerly eight annual fairs, held as follows - on the 12th of May and St. Matthew's Day, September 21; the Tuesdays before the 1st and 31st of March, and before the 12th of May; the 15th of September; the 2nd and 29th October; and the 23d November, for cattle &c. The only cattle fair now held is on the same day as the Wear Valley Agricultural Society holds its annual show. The other fairs are of the past. In 1892 the county show was held here very successfully. The bridge, which was here crosses the Wear, was rebuilt in 1892. The old one, which was built in 1772, replaced one that was washed away by the flood of the previous year. The town is entered from the east by a bridge over the Waskerley.
"Frosterley Parish was formed May 1866, partly from Wolsingham and partly from Stanhope parish, having an area of 6120 acres. Frosterley is a township, manor and village; and at the period of the compilation of Boldon Book, was held by Ralph Cant. The village of Frosterley stands on the north bank of the river, surrounded by beautiful scenery. It is on the turnpike between Wolsingham and Stanhope, three miles west of the former and two south-east of the latter. Chapel Close is known as the site of and ancient chapel, the remains of which have entirely disappeared. Like its neighbouring villages, the inhabitants of Frosterley are chiefly employed in the quarries with which the district abounds."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]