, which was formerly a parochial chapelry, forming part of Billingham parish, is bounded on the north-east by Greatham, north by Elwick Hall, on the north-west by Grindon, and on the south-east by Billingham parish. It includes the townships of Newton bewley and Wolviston.
"Wolviston Township comprises an area of 2895 acres, and the annual value of the property assessed to the county is £3203.
"The village of Wolviston occupies a pleasant situation on the Stockton and Sunderland turnpike road, about five miles north by east from the former place. An annual festival is held here on the first Sunday after Lammas Day; and on the following day, races and shows or various kinds are held, as well as dances, &c., in the evening. For some years the races were discontinued, but are now re-established.
"Newton Bewley Township contains 1495 acres, and its annual value is £1521.
"The village of Newton Bewley is situated six miles north by east from Stockton. In a field a little to the south of the village, the foundations of a manor house were discovered in 1882. There are some interesting traces of there having once existed, at Low Grange Farm, an ancient edifice of some architectural pretensions. From the fragments of carved stone-work and portions of a pointed arch with drip stone, and several carved faces, it would appear to have been a chapel or some other such building. There are apparently no records of this place, but many foundations have been from time to time unearthed in the immediate neighbourhood."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]